Monday, November 5, 2012

Square Hole


"Maybe you're just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole." Someone said this to me recently about my career choice. Let me just say I love talking to people about art. I love showing people how to draw. Most of all, I think little kid art is the most mindblowingly awesome thing on the planet. This is where I am now, but it is not where I will remain forever. I use to think I get bored with things very easily. This is not true. I just don't know the path I am suppose to be on yet. Over the past 7 years I have gone from psychology to art therapy, to art teacher, to museum teacher, to researcher, and back to teacher again. All of these things are part of me, but nothing feels quite right. I haven't found my place just yet.
There is also the schizophrenic nature of my blog. Most of my posts are about art and creativity, but there is no clear thread or thesis (still a researcher!) that binds everything together. In order to find my unique voice I have been doing some writing independent of the blog. Some of these are short stories  that I don't know if I would ever have the courage to publish and another project is my statement for my PhD. application for the fall. One thing that is helping me figure to out what I want to be about both creatively and professionally is keeping a board on Pinterest to collect visual inspiration to make the process something more tangible.
I know that this whole "finding myself" thing is a rather clique, but cliques usually exist for a reason. I am fairly young and I know that developing a career plan/creative identity is not something that will happen over night. (Most of my other favorite creative entrepreneurs are well into their thirties before really "making it".) Finding my square hole isn't going to happen over night, but I'm excited to see where the journey will lead me.

-M.W. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...