Thursday, March 14, 2013

Finding Work that Works


As someone of the ripe age of 26 entering into the adult world I've noticed something: most adults are not very happy. There is traffic, unruly work environments, and just being exhausted from the sheer act of surviving on your own. My question is, does it have to be this way? At the risk of sounding like an idealistic Pollyanna, I don't think it does. Instead of complaining about our reality, change it. A lot of people do not like their jobs or current reality.

The question is how. How do you change your current scenery? I have read countless blogs where people have quit their day jobs and pursued their own creative businesses. I've toyed with the idea of working for myself for the past couple of years, whether that creative pursuit is selling my own art on Etsy or making money of my blog and turning it into a book. With the economy being as bad as it is (come on, you really didn't think I'd make a post about work/careers without mentioning that) it makes the most sense to jump the corporate ship and make your own job. The more I've been staring down the internet rabbit hole looking for another job for the second time in a year, the more I've been seriously considering it.

I've heard the advice that if you do something you love as your job you will never work a day in your life. However, to start anything worthwhile you are going to need money whether it is to cover the expenses of starting a new business or just making your rent every month. In my life right now I am focused on taking care of the basics and getting my feet firmly planted on the ground before moving forward in anything else. Of course, with the economy being the way it is this may mean that I will be waiting tables for awhile or moving back home. After this year of stress I am more that up for that.

In our generation I feel that so many times we thing that when we "grow up" we automatically expect to have all our parents have (or didn't have) in one sweep. When we get out of college, we expect to have the job, the car, the big screen, the iPhone, and the great house.  If we don't get it we either max out a few credit cards or feel like tremendous failures for not keeping up. What we don't realize is that it took the older generation years to save and work to get what they have. If you have to take a low-end entry job not in your field or bust a few tables, repeat after me: there is nothing wrong with that. You are not a loser. You are doing what you have to do to survive and learn how to make it in the world from the ground up.

In closing, do what you have to do to survive, but don't sacrifice your health or your sanity at a job that makes you sick. We all want to be independent and do things on  your own, but if you have to accept help from your family or friends to start off do it! Everybody needs help. And that is what those people are there for. I'm not saying you should be overly picky about finding a job. If you are in a somewhat tolerable environment and have to wash a few dishes, keep what you've got if you if you can't find something in your field or figure out what you want to really do.

Whatever you do, don't give up. No matter how tough things may seem, there is always some way out. Keep pushing, keep trying, keep doing. Because...



Because Bill Murray says so.

-M.  

1 comment:

  1. Spot on! You are a wise woman (are you really only 26 years old?). I did not know all of this until I was in my forties...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...