Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Air, and Light and Time and Space


A little bit of progress on the whole book thing ^ So I've been brainstorming for a proposal, and I realize the reason I make excuses so I never finish any creative project that I start. I always want to wait for "that" day, "that" opportunity, "that" studio space, or "that" computer. If you're reading this right now and doing the same thing repeat after me STOP. Don't make excuses. It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing yet, just do something! I bought a yellow legal pad and just started writing. It's just one page and sketchy, but it's something. That's what have to keep doing everyday to survive creatively and otherwise.

Something.

I found this fantastic poem by Charles Bukowski a few weeks ago on Brainpickings.org that really illustrates what I'm talking about. For those of you who know nothing about Bukowski, he is a poet who basically worked twelve years in drudgery for the US postal service. He smoked, drank, womanized, raised all kind of unimaginable hell and I just love the old guy. In all the time he worked nights sorting mail he still wrote. He worked 12 mind numbing hours a day and still wrote like a boss.  The blue collar inspiration to the rest of us working stiff.

Air, and Light and Time and Space
”– you know, I’ve either had a family, a job,
something has always been in the
way
but now
I’ve sold my house, I’ve found this
place, a large studio, you should see the space and
the light.
for the first time in my life I’m going to have
a place and the time to
create.”
no baby, if you’re going to create
you’re going to create whether you work
16 hours a day in a coal mine
or
you’re going to create in a small room with 3 children
while you’re on
welfare,
you’re going to create with part of your mind and your body blown
away,
you’re going to create blind
crippled
demented,
you’re going to create with a cat crawling up your
back while
the whole city trembles in earthquake, bombardment,
flood and fire.
baby, air and light and time and space
have nothing to do with it
and don’t create anything
except maybe a longer life to find
new excuses
for.
-Charles Bukowski 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! Mira Schendel is another one like that. She was a refugee and created without a studio or even paint, on a kitchen table with whatever was available, even brick dust. No excuses, let your heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A start is a start, Megan - hooray for you!
    Gotta love Bukowski :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...