Sunday, November 10, 2013

Making Mission Statement

"The act of making marks is perhaps the most basic human instinct. Drawing is what makes me human. My art keeps me sane. It is such a release to me. I cannot see myself doing anything else in my life other than creating art and learning about it. Art helps me communicate my emotions better than using words. I am a visual person at heart. I do not want to merely  project my own emotions on paper, I want to inspire emotions in others. My goal is to pull the viewer into my work and invite them to feel what I am trying to say about the world visually. I want to evoke a sense of empathy with my work and the type of feelings I portray in my drawings and paintings. When I do this I feel successful as an artist..."

This was an artist statement that I wrote nearly years ago during my second year of college. It is the second time this passage has shown up in my blog. A year or so ago I was visiting my parents and my mother had dragged this little scribble on printer paper out of an old folder shoved way back into the guest room closet. Bluntly put, my creative side of my brain is what keeps me alive. My art is mostly about me and my experiences . The blog I keep is my way of sharing those experiences with people who can relate to them.

As part of my Blogging from the Heart course, I've been thinking about my mission statement or purpose for my blog. I've also been listening to some of Marisa Haedike's (one of my bloggess heros) beautiful podcasts on her journey to becoming a successful artist. She frequently discusses how it is sometimes rare to hear the story of failures and "paying dues" from someone who's made it. I think it is important to talk about those experiences, because that is what makes you as an artist. I also believe that it is important for artists who blog about their journey to be transparent about where they've been. With that transparency, experiences can be shared and communities can form. 

That is what I want my blog to be- a catalyst for an community of growing artists.  

2 comments:

  1. I was reading your blog Megan and I relate so much with a lot that you say. I'm also... We'll... An artist in the sense I make artistic things and I absolutely agree art is communication. I'm also doing the Blogging from the heart course. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to meet you too! Thank you for the comment :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...