Saturday, January 4, 2014

Filling the Well and Letting it Rain


Since my long vacation from blogging it has taken me awhile to get back into the habit. Chuck Close once said, "Inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us get up and work." Hard work is 90 percent of being a creative. However, there is such a thing as getting burned out. The most difficult thing about being an art school graduate is getting over the exhaustion that comes from working in a studio to make your dead line and getting every work you created picked over in critique. These are valuable experiences that push us to grow as artists (and as people!), but after five years making things lost the joy it once had.

After graduating I didn't paint for nearly two years. I drew some for my science illustration class in grad school, but other than that: nothing. For the last few months I've been itching to work creatively again. The problem is that, I let my well run dry. When you get out of the mindset of creating and plug yourself into just getting up in the morning to log one more twelve-hour shift, it can, quite honestly, drain the life out of you.

Beat it.

Don't let the bastards pull you down.

Get out there. Do what you love and surround yourself with what you love. The more I gorge myself on reproductions of my favorite paintings, wonderful books, and endless nights laughing it up my band of misfit toy friends, the more I want to create. If you want to your best work to rain out of you, you have to be full of something to begin with. Make sure it's good stuff.    

3 comments:

  1. "If you want to your best work to rain out of you, you have to be full of something to begin with" I love that quote, and you are so right! Thank you for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The more I gorge myself on reproductions of my favorite paintings, wonderful books ..." I think we need a wee post telling us what these are, and why? :-D I'm sorry, I'm nosy, but I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your comments :) Crolia, thank you for giving me the idea of doing a "my favorites" post soon. If you want to chat about art, please, send me a note on Facebook. I'd love to compare notes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...