Saturday, June 28, 2014

Making Art Out of Necessity

In this economy it pays, literally, to have a marketable skill.  For me art is that skill. As of recent, it has also become a source of income along with my day job. My goal is to rake in an additional five hundred dollars a month to get me caught up with my bills. To my surprise and joy, I have met almost half of my goal in the first month. I've sketched a make shift business plan over to keep my goals in perspective.

Perhaps, the most difficult thing about starting a side business is pushing through the desire to work on your own commissions and art when you come home from a full-time job. Studying for the GRE on top of that also adds an other brick to the load. I'm honestly not complaining; it has been a dream of mine for years to work from home. There is nothing in the world quite like being able to be self sufficient off something your make with your own hands and that other people appreciate your work.

There are a few drawbacks to working from home and being your own boss. For example, no one tells you to stop watching Netflix and do your job.  One of my biggest vices it that I'm a horrible self-starter. This makes me sound lazy, but if I don't have to do something I usually don't do it. When you are making art to pay your bills, there is no such thing as working out of inspiration. To quote Chuck Close, "Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us get up and go to work.... All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself."  

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Most artists are lousy starters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great quote. I need to remember that myself. Good luck with your goal and congratulations on such a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :) It's a lot of odd jobs at the moment, but I hope things will be picking up momentum soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...