Friday, July 4, 2014

Battling the Good Taste Gap

First, a small personal update before I start this post. Yesterday, I found out that I was admitted into the Marriage and Family Therapy program I applied to. I was granted an assistantship, meaning free tuition, and an additional stipend. I am absolutely thrilled beyond words. A long time ago I pursued the idea of being an art therapist or some kind of counseling work, but always found myself in the education field. This has never felt like the right fit for me. Teaching is half crowd control, a quality I do not readily possess.  Working with people one-on-one is my strength. I am so excited to have to another chance to purse what I feel like I was meant to do. I start school in August!!

Now to the real post...

I was going through my inspired board on Pinterest today and I ran across this brilliant video I pinned from brainpickings.com. Ira Glass talks about the point of an artist's career called 'the taste gap'. This is basically where while you create you have stellar taste; you know what is good. You also notice that the work you are producing...well. It isn't so good or at least it isn't lined up with you level of taste. There is a way to bust through this stage.

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

Work. Work like you have never worked before to get through the taste gap. The quicker you get your real learning work done with the quicker you get to your best. In reality, I know we never stop learning and progressing, but there is a point where you can look at your work and say you are established. I am working so hard to be able to get to this point. It isn't easy with a full-time job and now grad school (!!) to push past this plateau.

I recently started an art journal. I don't consider it a sketchbook, but a journal, because sketchbook brings forth the image in my head of concept work and planning for bigger pieces. A journal is something more personal and less precious. I can basically do anything I want in this thing and that is a very liberating feeling to someone who is so use to every mark they make being subject to grading or criticism. Hopefully this will be in the right direction to let go and move closer to closing the taste gap.


2 comments:

  1. The "gap" is such a familiar, frustrating place for an artist. Always good to find new ways of getting 'round it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading :) Being in the gap is where I'm stuck right now. I'm working on keeping a visual journal to try and help me loosen up with my paintings, so every thing I do doesn't feel so precious. The inner critic is always a battle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...